Unity Tutorial 01

Video 1

I have learned about the different windows in Unity, which can be moved around to suit the user's need. Personally, I will be rearranging some of the windows to help make things easier. Another handy trick I have picked up on is that the F key is a shortcut to focus the object that has been selected.  Holding down on the letter axis (xyz) can be used to rotate, position and scale objects. This will be very useful. The terrain asset is a new concept to me and I enjoyed practicing with it. 

Video 2

Following on from the terrain talk last time, I have learnt all about adding new terrain textures. I also got to practice duplicating textures for use with more terrain which was useful. I learned more about mapping textures including gray-scaling and editing textures to better detail them. I will be looking forward to using these features in game design. When painting the terrain it was difficult to achieve an ideal look. It is clear more practice is needed with this. 

Video 3

I am now importing character assets into Unity. I will be honest, I never knew that there even was a preexisting set of assets for characters in Unity, so to discover this now is quite exciting. The prebuilt camera asset is very responsive and works well with the default controls.
The tree brush is a new too for me as I never knew it was possible that a specific command named "paint trees" existed. Nonetheless, I am glad I do now know about it as it will really make the game look nicer. 
The option to add grass I find is trickiest, often times I cannot tell when I have inserted grass or not to the map, whilst it might be the rendering being slow, it does mean I find myself with many patches of land unpaved with grass. I will need more practice with this. 

 Open field

 Gem

 Close up of texture on hill

Comments

  1. Hi Fionn,

    I really like your blog. Your tutorial game looks great ! Jimmy Vegas tutorial are super helpful I find, even teaching stuff like you mentioned, paint trees. I like how you changed the colour of the gem to red, also that field of grass is super big, you must have been having fun planning grass.

    I can't wait to read your blog again in the future !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts