Why Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite games (Week 1)


My physical copy of the game: Credit to Fionn Noonan

Introduction

The game I have chosen is "Kingdom Hearts 1" released in 2002 for the Playstation 2. It was conceived by Tetsuya Nomura


Genre

It is an action and role-playing game.

Setting

There is a collection of thirteen levels, called "Worlds" (ten based on Disney films) through which the player must progress to advance.

Gameplay

The game has you control a character named Sora in a 3rd person camera perspective. As Sora defeats enemies, the characters all gain experience and new abilities. The game also includes the Disney characters Donald and Goofy as allies.

Image depicts combat and the main screen of game information: Credit to Wikipedia

Story

The story follows a linear pattern. The plot involves a supernatural storm which transports Sora (a 14 year old boy) to a distant land. His quest is to track down his missing friends with the help of Donald Duck and Goofy. He must defeat his enemies the Heartless along the way. 

Why it is my favorite game

I like how the player at the start can select one of three main attributes: strength, defense or magic for Sora the main character to excel in. I like that it can vary each experience depending on the initial choices you make at the start. The music is very memorable and was specially composed for the game. It captures the mood in each instance. The soundtrack also includes vocal pieces which appeal to me. Graphically the game is very vibrant and colorful and looks exceptional for the time and still holds up well today against even modern releases. I find the difficulty is ideal and never feels too hard or too easy. Whilst it is challenging it rarely frustrates me or becomes too unreasonable. 



A small sample of some merchandise I own including subsequent games in the series and some toys: Credit to Fionn Noonan

Comments

Popular Posts