Game Prototype

This week, I started to create my game based on my GDD, Unity tutorials and feedback. I set up the playing field as a small stage with a flat surface. I added the player (ball) and programmed it to move. I set up walls around the perimeter so the ball does not fall off the stage.
At the moment it is a small stage (world) with no obstacles because the purpose of this prototype is to test the mechanics of the game. I added ten old single cut gems arranged in a circle. I then tested if the ball could pick up the gems. This was difficult to implement. I had to edit the box collider as it was too big and the ball was collecting gems at too far a distance away. I have set the x, y, and z at 0.03 at the moment and it is working well. The gems look well and I have set them to spin to add to the aesthetics of the game. The ball is rolling nicely and I am happy with the speed of it and the controls are working fine.
I am finding it difficult to decide on the themes to use in each level (world), I need to practice adding various terrains and assets to design the world. Randomizing the gem positions is something I have to learn how to do.
To decide on the time limit for the game. I will test it on users and work on the feedback. A counter and a timer (not sure how to do this) are needed. At the moment I have met my targets as I have a working prototype which demonstrates the basic mechanics of my game.

 - An overview of the prototype as the game first boots up

 A close up of the play field showing off the player and the collectibles

 An empty play field after the game has been completed by the player.

 Sketch of the Prototype.

Comments

  1. Hi Fionn,

    It was really nice to read your blog and see the development of your game. I'm glad the mechanics of the game are working out well for you! It's the only game I've seen so far that doesn't use a character as the main control, which is really interesting. I've seen similar games where they use balance and have to pass certain obstacles like holes in the ground to get to an end goal, and I always enjoyed playing them. They're very addictive, so since yours is similar I look forward to seeing more of its development and seeing how it works!

    BLC Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fionn,

    I really like how your game is starting to shape up! While the level design isnt there yet, it's great to see that you have the basic mechanics of the game in place and that they're working well for you. It's a very unique game in terms of what people in the class are doing so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

    One question I have for this game- besides the timer, will there be any other added difficulty to this game? I feel that once players get the basic gameplay down, they'll be able to get through each level before the timer runs out and that it could benefit from added difficulty.

    Which brings me to my suggestion- perhaps it would be a good idea to think about another level of difficulty to add to your game. Perhaps you could even add gaps or remove a wall of the stage so that the players must balance away from the gaps and keep them in mind while collecting the gems, or else theyll fall off the stage and trigger a game over.

    Looking forward to the development of your game!
    - Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fionn,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog you obviously put a lot of effort into your prototype I really like that you sketched out your idea before hand which not a lot of people did you do have the basic mechanics in your game and some simple design maybe you could have added some more design aspects to your game but so far so good anyway. When the ball moves if it hits of one of the gems is the game over also is there different levels to the game ? also how many levels are in the game because you said your finding it difficult to find different themes for each level which can be difficult maybe look at some similar games and take ideas from different games. Anyway I am very intrigued by your game and can't wait to red more about it.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts