Alpha

The 'gem ball' is rolling back onto your screens this week. Its more streamlined, the game flows better and looks better. In short, its an alpha! This week I've added some special effects to the game to make it more pleasing for the player.
I've inserted a sound effect which 'pings' upon collection of each individual gem. Music has been added as the ball rolls around the world adding to the player experience. Over the last week I tested the game on various friends to see how long it takes on average to collect 10 gems. From the feedback on these trials I have set the time limit at 180 seconds as this provides a degree of challenge but it is possible to succeed.
 I created the countdown timer using a unity tutorial. It works well if you succeed and a 'you win' text displays. However, I am having difficulty linking a 'you lose' text to the timer, if a person runs out of time. So for the moment I have a working timer as I hoped to do in my targets, but have to the 'you lose' option. I've met my target for adding sound effects and music but am still working on a theme for a second level.
I changed the font of the counter timer and 'you win' text to a more appealing font type. I am happy with the alpha version of my game in terms of appearance, gameplay and the sound effects, but have work to do on the 'you lose' option (if the player fails to collect the gems before the time runs out) I'm mostly meeting my targets but still have to finalize a theme for my second level and start setting up the assets in this level.

 The game upon completion. All gems being collected, within 180 seconds. The timer is detailed above as are the new fonts.

 The timer at its starting time value of 180 seconds. Its set to count down to 0 and stop upon reaching that number. 


Comments

  1. Hello there Fionn!
    I see your game has gotten even better than it was last week. I must say I am a big fan of your game. I really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing how you are getting on with your game. You seem to be enjoying making your game which is a good thing as you would not want to be making a game from scratch that your not really enjoying. Did you find it hard adding in the timer? as i am also going to have a timer in my game and have not added it into my game yet. I love the way it comes up "you win" when you win the game , I find that to be a cool addition to your game. I also love the bright colours of your game as it stands out and catches the players eye. I wish you luck in the new week and hope you have fun making more progress on your game.
    Talk to you soon ,
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fionn
    I see Your game is coming along quite well I love you Idea as it seems like fun and colorful concept that doesn't take itself to serious like a lot of other games out there.

    I love the design in the image you have posted as it kind of reminds me of the style used in the fictional game sugar rush from the wreck it ralf films. I was wondering have you considered adding different colored gems with different abilities such as slowing time down or adding a few seconds on to the timer giving the player more time and an advantage.

    Overall I love how much your game has came along and can not wait to see its final result. Best of luck in the coming weeks on progressing more

    -Dillon

    P.S I also love the additions of the ping sound affects after collecting each individual gem ,as it reminds me of the classic pinball machines I use to love hearing as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fionn,

    Its great to see that you're coming along so well with your game and I can't wait to see it when it's completely finished I bet it will be great. From your screenshot I can see that its a colourful game and while its a simple gem collecting game if it's well made then people will definitely enjoy it and the colourful levels will keep the players attention firmly on the game. I think that giving the player a limited amount of time to collect the gems adds a good level of challenge to the game that is sure to keep the player engaged with the game. Testing it on other people to get the time was a great idea.

    - Casper :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts