First Playable Version of the Gem Ball

Last week I created my first prototype for the gem ball game. This was very basic and just dealt with the core mechanics of the game. There were no assets, just a field, borders and gems. This week I have worked on Unity and designed my first playable version of the game. It contains all the main elements in one level. I am happy with the aesthetics of this level which I have themed around candy. The floor is pink and the level is populated with candy canes, lollipops and various sweets. All these come from free assets packages I researched on Unity. I tried various packages but some were more successful then others. The assets I chose I placed in clusters allowing access for the ball to go around them. I noted the co-ordinates of each asset. These assets look well and demonstrate my unique and look for this level. I am happy with how the ball is moving and have edited it in rainbow colors to follow candy theme. I had a lot of difficulty randomizing the locations of the ten gems in this populated level. I did make sure to give them different co-ordinates to the assets, but some of the gems floated above the level on occasion. I think I have managed to correct this problem. I'm happy with the size of the ball which I also edited to make larger and more visible on the screen. I added a counter which count up to 10 as each gem is collected. This is working well. I'm meeting all the targets in my plan, having had a prototype by week 7 and a playable level by week 8 as planned. I'm still working on the timing and have not yet implemented the clock. I am testing the game on a number of users firstly to see how long they take to complete this level. I will use this feedback to set my time. I am happy with how this game is developing and intend working on the clock, audio/sound effects and a second level this week.

 Gameplay in swing, lollipop forest

 Victory to the player is displayed 

 Look at these canes my boy. These are a ramp in the level where a gem sometimes will be found at. 

Comments

  1. Hello there Fionn! How is life going ? Another fantastic read. I am loving the screenshots of your game. You seem to be very good at Unity as I find it hard to develop my ideas and express them into the actual game itself. Your game looks very colourful which is a huge bonus as it adds character to the game and also stands out to the player by catching their eye with the bright pink flooring and the colours on the obstacles like the candy canes. I think your game is coming along great and i am very happy to see you doing great progress and hoping that all your ideas are working well and coming along okay. Did it take you long to do out your game on unity? and also did you come across difficulties when working with your game? i will make sure to come back next week to see your progress on your game, hope everything goes right this week for you!
    cya soon
    aaron hogan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well a good day to you Fionn!!

    My, my, someone does have a sweet tooth when it come to their game concept as I am getting a sugar rush just from looking at your game concept. I am glad to see that your game is coming along nicely and that it is progressing well in Unity for you (i am a little bit behind myself but I will get their). If I were to ask a question to this it would be is their a distinct story to this or will it be a simple calming puzzle adventure game. I can't really think of anything to suggest to add to this as it is looking well as it is.

    All in all I think that your game is looking well as it is and that I look forward to seeing how it will all turn out in the end.

    Cheerio!!!

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fionn,

    I must say Your game is looking really well from what I can see in your screenshots. The colour scheme is bright and eye catching and works well with your theme.

    I'd love to be able to test out your game so you have a better idea of how long to set your timer. If you're having any problems implementing a timer here's a link I found that may help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-C95TuQtf0

    You seem to have a passion and good eye for unity which is very impressive and I love the candy theme you have going.

    I like the simplicity of your game design, I fear I may have over complicated my idea to the point where it's not achievable. I'm glad you're getting on well and I can't wait to read more.

    Best of Luck,

    James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fionn,

    Your game looks great ! It's good to see your game is progressing nicely! I like the theme of your game, the candy look of the game is making me Hungry especially those candy canes !

    I know you've work with unity before this course but your game has to one of the better games I've seen so far !

    I do have one question: Are there any core mechanics that you've added last week that you have improved on ? Are they still the same ? I'm just curious as you don't say if you have or haven't.

    I'm also curious to see where your game will go next after this as it seems your almost done, will you go back and improve on elements ? For examples the graphics by adding bloom ? Do you have sound effects in the game or sound at all ? If not will you add that in ?

    Either way I can You've work really hard on your game.

    Can't wait to read your blog again in the Future.

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts