Week 9 Reading and Writing

Looking back, overall my reading and writing assignments which I dreaded at the start and took forever have become less stressful with practice.
My favorite readings were those on growth mindset. I particularly enjoyed the videos by Carol Dweck as they were easy to follow. The concept was new for me and I now realize I have a fixed mindset in many situations. I liked the simple idea of grading 'not ye' and the notion of praising effort and focus (not just success) appeals to me. I'm trying to develop a growth mindset in my approach to modules I find difficult this term and to feedback I receive. I do think the reading notes each week are helpful with developing my game.
For example in Game Decisions, I liked the idea of building a cozy inviting world for my game (Building a Princess Saving App) using warm welcoming colours and visuals. I used this idea in level which is pink and candy themed. The readings helped me learn vocabulary like dynamics, mechanics and aesthetics which helped me plan for my game.
The Dundoc software was very helpful when drawing up my game design document.
Reading/research strategies that I've found helpful include reading the introduction and summary first to get an idea of what the article is about. I also jot down my thoughts as I read. It still takes me a while to read and process the articles. I'm happy with my game project and now have a first playable version of the game. My biggest accomplishment so far is reaching this point where the game is actually workable. Those people I've tested it on have enjoyed it. I enjoy making and receiving comments from my classmates. This is my first time doing a blog in this module and I am loving it.
Looking ahead, I intend reading more on growth mindset and looking at and commenting on a greater range of my classmates posts. I also hope to get better at giving meaningful feedback.
To get more out of the readings I need to learn how to scan the page faster and pick out what is relevant and useful to me. I want to make my writing more useful to the block reader and leave them gagging for my next installment.

 This is my favourite image from my project. It shows the lollipop forest and the ball (player) in action from my first playable version of the Gem Ball. I am proud of the bright colourful cozy world I have created using unity assets. 

Comments

Popular Posts