The Gem Ball Beta: Further Updates. New Level?


If any of you read last time you would know about some of the updates I made to the Gem Ball and how I had created the sweets level. Well, there's another level in the works right now: A Christmas level. But this is no season to be jolly as its another challenging level the player has to tackle to become a gem ball master.
The layout of the level consists of various elements you would expect in a world such as this one: Christmas trees, presents, snowmen (and women, because how else do they procreate?) and more. Just like before, each of the gems are randomized to these different locations on the map and are likely hiding within the various landmarks of the world. You have 3 minutes or 180 seconds to locate all the gems or you're done for. Yikes.
Designing the level itself was rather interesting as it both uses new asset packages to create the level but also some of the past assets from the sweets level for the floor which now has a few red and green patterns covering it. Troubles have arisen but nothing too major, mostly box colliders this time are causing issue since the default colliders are too large and sometimes my ball gets stuck in them so I have to mess around with them for a short while till they can be fixed. That and there is also the fact I have yet to actually randomize the gem locations, but the next post will more than likely detail that.
I had said before in the 'Free Unity Tutorial that I had added a 'You Win' and a 'Game Over' scene. I won't go into too much detail I recommend reading that post for further info on how that was completed but the big thing about this addition is that my game now has a realistic conclusion. Before if the clock reached zero nothing would happen it would just reach zero and that was it. Quite the anticlimax. Now the timer is an actual threat since once it hits zero the game finishes. The 'You Win' scene was added partially due to my interest but mostly since I realized based on the games calculations of the code even if the player succeeded the timer would still tick down, if left unattended the game would switch to a Game Over after the timer reached zero. Not wishing to confuse players I decided to ditch the original You Win and made it a whole new scene instead out of necessity that would pop up instead if the player is victorious.
What's mostly working is like I said, the scene transitions, the controls, sounds and more. Very little is actually going wrong between both levels although more problems exist in the Christmas, this is justified due to the level still being tweaked and corrected to better work with the game and the randomizer. Also before anyone asks, the levels now have proper names in their scenes: Sweets Levels is now Glucose Gems and the Christmas level is Jingle Gems. I will still refer to their generic descriptive names though for the sake of the post.
Like I said before the only thing really going wrong is the box colliders in the Christmas level due to the wonky nature of them right now. The Sweets level's only issue now is that one rogue gem will float out of the players grasp so that will need to be corrected soonish.
However, I am closer to getting my desired game completed and I look forward to what the rest of the development entails.

 An Overview of the overall level of Jingle Gems. Jingle Gems Jingle Gems Jingle All the Way.

 Jingle Gems level in action. Its a tough one. 
 Game Over. Sadly I doubt I can use "My Heart Will Go On".

 Hurray! I won!


Comments

  1. Hey fionn,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog your game is coming along really well from what i can see you obviously put a lot of time and effort into it I really like that your game has different maps that are customized differently and i also really like that it has a time limit so that it makes the game have more of an organised aspect to it. I also really like the overall design aspect to your game it is really in theme with the season i also really like that you have a a game over and you won aspect so the player knows when they have won or lost. You obviously have put a lot of time into your game and it shows it is really good anyway i will leave it there hope to read more about your game soon.
    -Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fionn,

    This game looks genuinely entertaining! Well done on actually having multiple levels. I can't seem to get past a 10 X 10 square of space! It seems like you have worked really hard to get to where you are at the minute, so fair play!

    My question is: Are there any major obstacles or surprises that challenge the player other than the timer? Things like bottomless pits that reset the player to starting position.

    Well done again on your progress.

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts