Game Brainstorm

Conceiving game ideas I find to be very difficult. A lot of time and care is needed to make a good game come to work and as some of the readings I seen have explained, game designers go through many poor ideas to the point its rare they will have even a good idea on the first go. However, sometimes poor ideas can be gradually worked on slowly but steadily to suddenly become great ideas, for my sake I do hope these weaker ideas I have conceived can become just that.

Game 1 - Gem Collecting Game

A good plan to making a game design is to start simple. Out of all the game ideas I have had this is definitely the least imaginative but in terms of production will be likely the easiest and practical to accomplish.The game will be a 3-D game and would involve exploring a large area (perhaps a grassland or forest) and playing in the 3rd person perspective or 1st person perspective (to be decided) The positions of the gems in the world would be randomized each time the player would start playing the game. A time limit could be implemented, in which the person has to find all the gems. A counter could come up on the screen, indicating how many gems have been found out of the total. From the Unity tutorial, I would enjoy doing the background textures, I like the idea as its simple and could lead to a popular game. I think it would be easy to make. I would shape my gems like below, which is already available in Unity. Different colors would be used as it could appeal to younger children. It will be a simple game with simple rules and can be played by people of any age. Perhaps the time in which all of the goals would be achieved could be displayed, so a player could try to beat their best time.

A Gem Collecting Game From Steam

Game 2 - Roll A Ball Game

This is a 3-D game that will involve the player controlling a sphere passing through a grid/maze area. The player, themselves is the sphere which can be moved using the directional keys on the keyboard) The aim could be to either collect all the cubes or preferably navigate their way through a maze area in order to reach the end goal. There are different turns and some lead to dead ends in the map (if a player reaches a dead zone, they have to turn back and will waste time) in the map. The map could comprise of different mazes, when one is completed you enter the other to eventually reach the end goal waiting for them, at the end, the word "end" would glow and a fanfare could erupt upon completion. This game would also have a time limit just like my first game idea in which to finish the maze in a certain time or lose. I'm interested in this game idea as I feel a game using a maze is challenging and have seen some interesting ideas online. Using Unity, I feel I could make a series of mazes, each linking to the next. The sphere is already an asset in Unity so will be no problem to implement into the game. I have researched a tutorial in Unity involving a maze game. The link is shown below. The link is shown below. I would like to try to incorporate mazes made in different environments, perhaps walls, hedges, trees or even rivers. At his time, I think a sphere would be the best shape to use in terms of rolling, but may try a polyhedral shape of some sort. 

Game 3 Shooting Game (Fluffed Up)

My third game choice is a game based on a shooting games. For the setting, the game could take place in a child's bedroom, or playroom either set in the night time, or during the day when the lights are on. Players will be taking control of a diminutive smaller character who has to survive (by shooting a gun) for as long as they can against a large onslaught of violent plush toys, who seek to cause the player harm, Waves of attacks will start weak and small, allowing the player time to warm up to the controls of the game (and get used to the rules and enemies approaching them). By the time of the 5th or 6th wave, enemies will start coming in at all sides and will force players to pay close attention to their own position on the map. They must decide when and whom they should strike, since certain enemies may be closer than others. During the game, your score (number of enemies killed) will be kept track of at the top of the screen. Once you die, (you have 5 lives) your final score will display on screen. I feel this game has some very good potential to be an exciting and unique game, I think its possible for me to also populate the game with more environmental obstacles and decorations (from Unity) to help improve the look and feel of the game. It is a one player game but you can compete to get the highest score.


Game 4 Tanks Game (Tanked)

This final game idea is the one that is the least devloped in my thoughts overall. The idea is different entirely to the other three proposals I have already outlined. As for the game itself, in this game players take control of a vehicle, possibly a tank and will be able to drive it around a landscape using the keyboard. Personally I have been considering using a rough terrain, something along the lines of a desert region, an artic location or an urban zone. The tank would be colored red to help it stand out against the different areas that might be used. The purpose for this game is manuever the tank and collect items hidden along the terrain. The collectibles could be Barrels which are scattered and some hidden all over the terrain. These are available as assets from Unity. I have researched ideas for the tank, possibly animated. I am interested in this game as it is completely different to the others and I would enjoy creating the different terrains using unity. To win the game all the items must be collected (by running over them with the tank) with a time limit.I already know how to create the terrains using Unity and look forward to using new textures, creating obstacles like rocks, hills, sand dunes etc. I will select appropriate music and sound effects for the background of each of my games using Unity. 






Comments

  1. Well a good day to you Fionn

    I must say these are some very nice and stupendous piece of game brainstorming concepts. What are unique about these is that they very simplistic and seem very intriguing to make, like I mean we can't make the equivalent of a triple A game in the span of 3 months and it is always best to start small and simple and then go from there. I look forward to what you will create.

    Cheerio!!!

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts