Game Idea Research

The game idea I have chosen to focus on is a gem collecting game. It is a 3D game. It involves exploring large areas of landscape, searching for gems. I hope to have a number of levels which will be different worlds, such as forest, artic and urban. These will be a randomized maps option. The player takes control of a ball which can roll around the map, collecting gems. The location of the gems is randomized each time the player boots up the game. Capturing/Collecting the gems is one possible game mechanic. Another possibility is power up modes embedded in special gems. (I saw this in Pacman using power pellets) these will give the player an advantage. Navigating the ball around each world, is a game mechanic I need to further research. Victory conditions may involve collecting as many gems as possible in a set time, or collecting all the gems in the shortest time to win. I have not decided this yet but counters on screen will indicate time and number of gems captured. To research possible collectibles, I studied Spyro the Dragon. The Pokemon games provided me with ideas for different worlds. I feel I could develop this game during the semester and would enjoy doing so.






Comments

  1. Hi Fionn I enjoyed reading your blog and what you want do with your game. Jimmy Vegas has a really helpful video on how to collect gems and make them make a noise when you get it on unity. I liked your ideas for your games and know they will definiately be fun!! Adding all of those images make it look a lot more visually appealing :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fionn !

    I really like your game idea and your blog ! It's clear that you've thought and planned out what you want your game to be ! I like the idea of gem collecting, reminds of the box collecting from Crash Bandicoot games for some reason ! However one of those things both Crash and Spyro both had was Story, is your game going to have a story ?

    It doesn't have to be a big part of the game but it could help the player care about what they are doing and why.

    I thought I would give a suggestion, just one since you're game idea is really good:

    1. one of the fun aspects of Pacman is the inability to fight back unless you get the power pellet, maybe have enemies that the player is unable to defeat unless they collect all the items, maybe a boss or something ?

    Again your idea is great and could make a really fun ! Let me know if you need a beta tester cause I'll happily beta test for you !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts