Game Elements

In the reading this week, I learnt about the elements that all games have. These include, players, goals, rules, resources, player interaction and themes. I have found the article about players very interesting as I wasn't aware of all the different player structures that you could use in your game. In terms of objectives or goals, I got great ideas for game design. In terms of goals I mostly focused on collecting games for my ideas, but games like Clue where the goal is solving and Chase/Race or escape games sound intriguing but challenging to make. I rarely gave player interaction any thought, but now see its an important element to consider.
The author says critical analysis of a game involves a through and unbiased examination of a game and it is useful for analyzing your own game in progress. He further claims games are systems, that are easier to grasp if you have played them and analysis involves looking at all the working parts.The author provides helpful questions to ask yourself in your own critical analysis. I find asking yourself what challenges do players face? Or are there optional rules causing the experience to be different each time? Or, who is the intended audience? Would be most useful to address when analyzing your own game 




Comments

Popular Posts